LONDON — Boris Johnson left intensive care on Thursday night as his condition continued to improve.
Downing Street said the U.K. prime minister, who was admitted to hospital with COVID-19 earlier in the week, was in “extremely good spirits” but would still be closely monitored.
“The prime minister has been moved this evening from intensive care back to the ward, where he will receive close monitoring during the early phase of his recovery,” a spokesperson said.
Johnson, 55, was first admitted to hospital on Sunday night for tests, in what Downing Street insisted was a precautionary move. He tested positive for coronavirus two weeks ago and suffered from a persistent high temperature before his admission. Before going into hospital, he had displayed COVID-19 symptoms, including a temperature and a cough, for 10 days, and was in self-isolation in Downing Street, chairing meetings via videoconference and receiving government papers and meals at his door.
The prime minister was moved into intensive care on Monday night, a day after arriving at St Thomas Hospital in Westminster. He has been given oxygen but has not needed a ventilator.
Earlier Thursday, Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab, who was asked by Johnson to deputize for him, told the Downing Street daily press conference that he had not spoken to the prime minister since Saturday. “I think it is important to let him focus on the recovery — we in the government have got this covered,” he said.
The U.K. government was scheduled to review the lockdown measures imposed nearly three weeks ago on Easter Monday but that is now expected to be delayed until later next week. The Telegraph reported that a decision could be postponed until the prime minister is well enough to give his view.
“We mustnt give the coronavirus a second chance to kill more people and hurt our country. I know it is tough going but this is a team effort,” Raab said Thursday, warning the public to stick to the rules ahead of what forecasters say will be a sunnyRead More – Source