A bow-and-arrow attack in which a Danish convert to Islam is suspected of killing five people in a Norwegian town appears to have been an “act of terror”, police said.
At least five people died and two injured in a bow and arrow attack in the Norwegian town of Kongsberg on Wednesday.
A 37-year-old suspect has been arrested and charged of murdering five people.
The suspect is a Danish citizen who lives in the town, police said in a statement.
Police have not disclosed what charges the suspect is facing.
However, police said that the perpetrator has acted alone.
Authorities released the latest statement to counter what they said about other perpetrators’ involvement.
Speaking to media after the attack, Oyvind Aas, police chief of the county seat Drammen, said authorities had not ruled out the possibility of a terror attack. “From the course of events, it is natural to consider whether this is an act of terrorism,” he said.
However, Aas added, “it is too early to say anything about this and what was the person’s motivation.”
Erna Solberg, the country’s outgoing Prime Minister, described the developments in Kongsberg as “gruesome”.
“The perpetrator has carried out horrific acts against several people. It is a very dramatic situation that has hit Kongsberg society hard, and the events shake us all,” she said.
The attack comes on the eve of a new government after last month’s parliamentary elections unseated the long-ruling Conservative Party. Labour leader Jonas Gahr Store is due to assume the role of Prime Minister on Thursday.