At least four people were proclaimed dead as a “devastating” fire broke out in Cyprus for the second day.
The cause of the fire was still unclear. However, Cyprus has experienced very high temperatures in recent days exceeding 40 Celsius (104 Fahrenheit).
“Its one of the most destructive (fires) we have experienced, unfortunately, with victims,” Cypriot President Nicos Anastasiades told local reporters.
The victims, thought to be Egyptian nationals and agricultural workers, were found dead close to Odou, a mountainous community north of the cities of Limassol and Larnaca.
“All indications point to it being the four persons who were missing since yesterday,” Interior Minister Nicos Nouris said on Sunday.
“We are experiencing the most destructive fire since the founding of the Cyprus republic in both material damage, but also unfortunately in terms of human lives,” Nouris said.
In a statement, Egypt’s foreign ministry said it had been informed by Cyprus authorities that the victims were Egyptians.
36 people had been evacuated from their homes, while hundreds of firefighters have been fighting to stop the blaze.
Attempts were being made to prevent the blaze from crossing the mountains and stop it before reaching Machairas, a pine forestland and one of the highest peaks in Cyprus.
Many European countries have pledged assistance to put out the fire.